Welo opals

BTS

Welo opals

Post by BTS » 3 years ago

Hello everyone, new to LC blog, but not to LC. I've purchased over 100 pieces of welo opal. Some to wear but most as an investment to sell later. Last week I came across a post of LC customers whose welo opals turned yellow. I checked my LC 2-tiered velvet jewelry box in which I keep my opals. All were yellow - even the pieces still in their plastic bag with the anti-tarnish square. I checked on-line for remedies and it seems that once yellow, always yellow. I live in humid Florida; however, if humidity is the problem, the jewelry box should provide a barrier to humidity as well as the sealed plastic bags. I threw some rice into the jewelry box and will check it in a month. I am so disappointed as I've spent thousands on welo opal jewelry pieces. Ever the optimist, I have a big jewelry box full of potential semi-mounts.

Bev in St. Pete, FL
11 x

Harlequin

Re: Welo opals

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Bev:... sorry to hear about your Opals. I have heard the same, but my gosh that is a lot. I won’t be buying any.
8 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

I would definitely research their care. I know very little about them, I only own a few. I would actually think the humidity would be good for them. But I really don't think the plastic bags would be. I'm sure there are folks here that can offer good advice. Not long ago someone talked about trying to get the yellow out. Try using the search function at the top right.
5 x

Shawne

Post by Shawne » 3 years ago

It looks like they turn yellow or brown with moisture. Once they dry out they go back to their normal color. I have many welo opals and had them for several years. They still look great. Love them!
7 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 3 years ago

Fortunately I’ve purchased only three Ethiopian Welo opal rings from SLC. All three turned an ugly brownish yellow color. I searched every internet site I could for a remedy and like BTS said it seems like their is no remedy. I even tried drying them in the sun. Though I am not fond of the dyed opals, I tried soaking one of the rings in a blue drink mix to see if I could make it look like SLC’s Miami blue opal, but that didn’t work either. I came across a more scientific website that mentioned soaking the opal in A mixture of acetone and permanent ink. Not wanting to ruin the setting with acetone, I lightly colored in the stones of one ring with an aqua colored fine tipped permanent ink marker. I know this sounds very tacky but the ring kind of looks ok with the permanent marker. The color play still slightly shows through. I don’t know if the ink will stay on but at least I can wear it as a casual ring with jeans instead of throwing it away as I had planned. I am not recommending that you do this, but since I was so fond of this butterfly bypass welo opal ring that SLC no longer sells I am glad it is a temporary fix for me so that I can at least wear it with jeans.
4 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

Welo Opals are more porous than Australian opals. For that reason, I don't keep mine in an anti-tarnish box because I don't want them absorbing any chemicals. I have many and not one has turned yellow.

Get them out of the boxes and bags (which also emit chemicals) and let them sit in the sunlight for a while. Maybe, that will help. Good luck.
7 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

I brought out my jewelry box of Welo Opals, they look still look really nice. Although I noticed a few pieces do have a slight yellow tinge o them.

And there is a pair of studs that I wore to beach one weekend ( forgot I was wearing 😳) and they did get salt water on and turned yellow,

I went ahead and put my jewelry box on the kitchen table where sun will shine on them nicely

And then threatened the cats about touching the box of pretties. I'm curious to see what happens -Gypsy
6 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
3 years ago
I brought out my jewelry box of Welo Opals, they look still look really nice. Although I noticed a few pieces do have a slight yellow tinge o them.

And there is a pair of studs that I wore to beach one weekend ( forgot I was wearing 😳) and they did get salt water on and turned yellow,

I went ahead and put my jewelry box on the kitchen table where sun will shine on them nicely

And then threatened the cats about touching the box of pretties. I'm curious to see what happens -Gypsy
I am always telling Milo "That's mommies toys!"
7 x

BTS

Re: Welo opals yellowing

Post by BTS » 3 years ago

Hello All & Happy Thanksgiving. Just a follow up to my issue with yellowed welo opals. I watched Tenner today and he briefly addressed the "maturing of welo opals" and their "browning" of color. I texted LC immediately to ask him to be more specific and let me know if this "maturing" affects value. No response. I have repeatedly asked LC for information on this issue (all my opals yellowed, yet still have their wonderful play of color), yet have received no answer; however, this is the first time in 3 years that LC addressed change of welo opal base color.
7 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

Since I first read this thread, I have texted on air to the hosts and asked them for some specifics on the proper way for storage and cleaning , so we can keep our Beautiful Welo Opals....well, Beautiful.!
I have not yet heard any responses from my questions. {Sigh} they don't want to engage with us when we ask legitimate gemstone questions.

I wish they would

-Gypsy
6 x