Brass rings

Barbara

Brass rings

Post by Barbara » 3 years ago

Hi y’all. They had some really pretty rings on earlier today, made of brass. I was thinking about getting the malachite one, but was worried about the brass turning my finger green. They were not Karis rings which are brass and platinum. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with brass jewelry?
6 x

JewelryQueen

Re: Brass rings

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

While I like the look of brass, there are several reasons I would not buy jewelry made of it, especially rings.

First the copper in it will turn your finger green. If your hands sweat or even if there is a lot of humidity in the air your skin will be green underneath the ring.

Second a lot of people have allergic reaction to the zinc, copper, or at times even nickel, that are alloyed in brass. I have seen people react so severely to it that they get large blisters from wearing it.

Thirdly, in my experience, it scratches rather easily so it doesn't take too long to look beat up.
10 x

Horsepower

Post by Horsepower » 3 years ago

I don't buy brass unless I can pop out the stone for repurpose, especially rings. You want to go with stainless steel & the cost is extremely low. It's durable, easy to clean, and doesn't tarnish. I love African Malachite and have many beautiful pieces in stainless steel. SLC has large carat weight, beautiful Malachite stones in many different styles.
8 x

Barbara

Post by Barbara » 3 years ago

Thanks
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

@Barbara I had researched brass jewelry online and what I found was that even if plated the brass always will come thru after a while so I never waste my money on it and forget trying to wear brass based earrings, after about an hour my ears hurt so bad I have to remove the, they get red and swollen.
7 x

Trishameghani

Post by Trishameghani » 3 years ago

Great Information was very useful for me.
3 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

I have several of the plated Karis pieces and haven't had any problem. I think the skin turning green may be dependent on the person's individual chemistry.

Stainless steel does not 'give' so if your fingers swell up you'll have a hard time getting it off. Harder than if the ring were in gold, silver, brass, bronze or copper. It's like wearing a jade or stone ring - no give.
2 x