Are we that Gulliable?

NYCGirl

Are we that Gulliable?

Post by NYCGirl » 4 years ago

Are we that Gullible?
Mr. Denise told us a long story on Sunday evening about a well-known international gem buyer who thought he was buying Alexandrite but was "fooled" and purchased the mother lode of color change garnet instead. The two looked so much alike. Really? I thought in the 21st Century there are field tests for gems, and savvy buyers. It seems so desperate to conjure such an unbelievable tale to get us to buy this item. We'll buy by getting correct information, a guarantee that it's the real stone, a professional tour, and of course, if it looks beautiful. But such a tall tale to coax us into buying is embarrassing.
Last edited by NYCGirl 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Spooky

Re: Are we that Gulliable?

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Amen to that!
4 x

TerryTalk

Post by TerryTalk » 4 years ago

I purchased color change garnet from another shopping channel— and I don’t think it looks like a an alexandrite—and I am not a gemstone buyer or gemstone hunter! I heard that story too and thought “Oh come on now get real guy—-“. One of the dumber things I heard today to be sure 🤪
9 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

That gemstone looked brown on my tv and I couldn't figure out what was going on with all the lighting changes - it was like someone was playing with a strobe light.

ShopLC, please take note, all these gimmicks with the lighting can set off a seizure in some epileptics. Especially when the host flashes a flashlight at the viewers.
5 x

TerryTalk

Post by TerryTalk » 4 years ago

They showed a tanzanite trilogy ring in sterling late last night/early morning and the “beauty shot” the tanzanites truly looked like AAA+, but cut the camera shots to the woman’s (host) hand and the tanzanites were pale. The ring was very inexpensive—so I knew it would be pale, but not everyone might know that. And they kept showing the dark tanzanites in the one light-box (beauty shot) and then the pale stones on the host’s hand. In my short time period viewing ShopLC, I must admit this is NOT the first time I have witnessed this flagrant difference between what you see in a beauty shot and what you see live on the set. This should be remedied—because it almost seems like a bait and switch?
12 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

The beauty shots are typically shot with a black background which will make the gemstone look darker. Oftentimes, the camera won't give a closeup look at the piece on the host so we can get an idea of the true color. It's comical when a host is holding up earrings to the ear and the camera never does come in for a closeup.

I guess it's 'bring your imagination' when viewing. Because host descriptions like 'these stones are big' or 'these diamonds are white' or 'this kunzite is dark' are subjective and useless.
8 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

All true. Sometimes when I watch and get the same reactions as you people, I wonder if I'm the only one. It's good to see I'm not alone. I've been into gemstones for almost 30 years. I have a large collection, and I used to go to the huge gem and jewelry shows that came to my city. I saw everything there, many gems that are no longer readily available. I've developed a very good eye for gems, and I don't appreciate anything but complete honesty. I have some pretty good smaller alexandrite pieces acquired many years ago, and they don't look anything like that garnet that was shown yesterday......not in any light. They never look brown; they look green outdoors and a purplish red under incandescent light. I've noticed many times they use a black light to show color changes in gems. Now, who has black lighting in their home, I ask?
10 x

jojosmom

Post by jojosmom » 4 years ago

TerryTalk wrote:
4 years ago
They showed a tanzanite trilogy ring in sterling late last night/early morning and the “beauty shot” the tanzanites truly looked like AAA+, but cut the camera shots to the woman’s (host) hand and the tanzanites were pale. The ring was very inexpensive—so I knew it would be pale, but not everyone might know that. And they kept showing the dark tanzanites in the one light-box (beauty shot) and then the pale stones on the host’s hand. In my short time period viewing ShopLC, I must admit this is NOT the first time I have witnessed this flagrant difference between what you see in a beauty shot and what you see live on the set. This should be remedied—because it almost seems like a bait and switch?
They should always show tanzanite with a WHITE background, I believe it helps show the true color. When they show it with a BLACK background it makes the stone look darker than it actually is, in my opinion.
7 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Plus, they take the beauty shots from behind
the Stone which always makes the stones
look darker than they are
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Talk about thinking we are idiots. Cheryl said 11 GM of Platinum on the emerald ring, is $5000🤣its only $309.76. Platinum prices are way down. One ounce of Platinum is $876.21 today
4 x