Anyone buy the Songea Sapphire...

DoubleLshopper

Anyone buy the Songea Sapphire...

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

Anyone buy the Songea Sapphire ring or earrings last night? They looked really good on TV.
4 x

JA

Re: Anyone buy the Songea Sapphire...

Post by JA » 3 years ago

I just looked them up they're very pretty but way out of my price range
6 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

I’ve heard and read that “red”sapphires are actually ruby. Anybody else know? I assume most red sapphire is heat treated orange sapphire. I would love red sapphire if I trusted LC to actually be selling the real deal. Gemsnob RS care to educate me? I don’t trust everything I read on the internet anymore.
7 x

Sissy2

Post by Sissy2 » 3 years ago

Being curious I asked sister about this. I had her send me this in an email as I do not understand most of it. She says there is no such thing as a naturally occurring red sapphire. Both rubies and sapphires are corundum. By definition a true red corundum is a ruby. Sapphires come in blue, black, green, orange, pink, purple, yellow and white AKA clear. The orange ones can undergo extensive treatments to include being infused and then heat and pressure treated to force an orange red color. I hope this makes sense to someone. It is Greek to me.
8 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

I've never looked into this. I've seen Green Beryl that supposedly has a slightly different chemical make up than Emerald. Never read up on it but it may be true. The red sapphire does not look like ruby to me. The best place to get factual info is the GIA.
8 x

DoubleLshopper

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

Songea sapphires can't be called ruby because the color is not from Chromium, but from Beryllium is my understanding
5 x

Gemsnob

DoubleLshopper wrote:
3 years ago
Songea sapphires can't be called ruby because the color is not from Chromium, but from Beryllium is my understanding
Thank you.
4 x

Gemsnob

Years ago, a host on GSN said there is no pink sapphire mine. Pink sapphire comes from a ruby mine. They are just not as saturated. I never read up on that either. Not sure if it's true. Doesn't much matter I guess. Just interesting.
6 x

Sissy2

Post by Sissy2 » 3 years ago

Back to sister I go. She says that Beryllium IS what they artificially infuse to make the "Red Sapphires". Also that this substance is a class 1 carcinogen but there is not enough exposure from the amount in gemstones to cause any danger. She says Chromium exists naturally in emeralds, rubies, chrome diopside and other gemstones. It results in a green color or red color depending on how it interacts with host molecules. My goodness, you people sound like scientists to me.
7 x

Gemsnob

There are several gems that contain toxic and deadly elements. Bumble Bee Jasper is one of them. It contains *. Lapidarys must be extremely cautious when cutting, carving and polishing.
6 x