950 Platinum

christee

950 Platinum

Post by christee » 1 year ago

I've been watching presentations for 950 platinum and the hosts claim it's rare. Supposedly it's going to increase in value (hosts say this for almost every gemstone and metal). Price per gram is close to 14k gold which has me wondering if it's worth buying.
Can anyone share their insight on the jewelry? I've never owned any and am considering buying though not as an investment.
0 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Re: 950 Platinum

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

My opinion is and has always been to buy jewelry because you love it or you want to give as a gift. Not for investment purposes. A sales tactic is to claim that you can sell it for more than you paid. I’ve never sold any of my jewelry so I cannot attest to any sort of profit. I have known people who have tried and did not make a profit. In fact they lost money.
Now for platinum. It is beautiful, very strong and durable. I have a couple of platinum chains I have had for several years and they look as good as the day they were given to me. I have quite a few jewelry items in platinum. A number of them are from ShopLC but not all. Again it is beautiful and durable. It has a completely different sheen to it than white gold so it definitely looks different.
2 x

christee

Post by christee » 1 year ago

Thank you so much for your input. The strength and durability are the key reasons I'd like to own a platinum chain. I was concerned it would be easily mistaken as white gold and happy you mentioned it doesn't.
1 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Greeneyes is right for all of the reasons mentioned.

Platinum in a chain is better than in a ring as it's VERY difficult to work with (re-size). It will retain it's beauty as a ring with minor cleaning and polishing, and whatever is set will pretty much NEVER move again (not even if you WANT to swap out stones).

I would also say a chain is a better choice, but just know that IF it does ever break, it's very doubtful you'll find anyone who can fix it. Likely it'd have to be a special mail-order company who specializes in platinum work. Working with it is a MUCH different process than silver or gold.
2 x