Re;Opal

Gem Lover

Re: Re;Opal

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

My ring with the small opals that turned yellow went back to normal after wearing it for a couple of days so maybe it needed moisture and it got to dry in the jewelry box. I also have six very large opals, all over 4 cts. that I got here and they have stayed beautiful, I have noticed the more you wear them the more color that shows up. I also have a beautiful dark body opal, it is like a dark grey and boy are the colors bright in that rin with a crazy amount of red, I purchased that one from another network. The large opals I got from here have great color play but I have had some I sent back but that was after shop lc stopped getting and cutting the material themselves.
4 x

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » 4 years ago

Every Welo I've purchased has turned yellow. Admittedly, they are not the larger, more expensive ones but still....I don't buy them anymore. If I spend a considerable amount (for me) I still expect something wearable. I won't wear mine because they are ugly now.And I have taken proper care of them. Welo=yellow.
5 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Stargazer wrote:
4 years ago
Every Welo I've purchased has turned yellow. Admittedly, they are not the larger, more expensive ones but still....I don't buy them anymore. If I spend a considerable amount (for me) I still expect something wearable. I won't wear mine because they are ugly now.And I have taken proper care of them. Welo=yellow.
I’ll never purchase the Welo opals again for the same reason. Even the rings I’ve never worn and believe I stored properly turned that nasty yellow color. I’ve had them for too long to return them.
5 x

Opal1010

Post by Opal1010 » 4 years ago

No ,no ,no, he's a rip-off big time , most opals he gets are watery and will surely Crack , then the problem is getting your money back from them.
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

I have a journey style Australian opal ring from SLC that actually has more color now than when I bought it years ago. Then...I have an Ethiopian Welo opal ring (not high priced) from SLC that is evidently poor quality because it's been yellow from the beginning! It's in a box under my bed w/other not great purchases.

When I first saw SLC presenting Welo Opal several years ago, they said "soak it in water to bring it back to life"...I did & the yellow part became clear & the colors were so much prettier...just goes back to yellow when it dries. No more Welo Opal for me! If anyone wants to try soaking in water, please make sure it's only the Welo Opal (not any of the others)!!
Last edited by Blossom 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

[*]And they will put them in yellow gold, so if the Opal turn yellow is no going to be noticeable. [/b]
1 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
[*]And they will put them in yellow gold, so if the Opal turn yellow is no going to be noticeable. [/b]
Thanks Margui for your tip as well
1 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

Think I am going to have to take a look at all of the opal items I purchased from Shop LC as some are packaged but kept in a cool place. I have many other opal jewelry pieces and none have turned yellow even lab created ones purchased a couple of years ago. I knew about being careful with my opals and water but never new they would turn yellow on their own. Wondering if storing in the original plastic caused the stones to sweat.
1 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
I have a journey style Australian opal ring from SLC that actually has more color now than when I bought it years ago. Then...I have an Ethiopian Welo opal ring (not high priced) from SLC that is evidently poor quality because it's been yellow from the beginning! It's in a box under my bed w/other not great purchases.

When I first saw SLC presenting Welo Opal several years ago, they said "soak it in water to bring it back to life"...I did & the yellow part became clear & the colors were so much prettier...just goes back to yellow when it dries. No more Welo Opal for me! If anyone wants to try soaking in water, please make sure it's only the Welo Opal (not any of the others)!! Then I read online (not SLC) exposing to water causes yellowing afterward. I had nothing to lose since mine was already yellow.
2 x