MYSTERY BIDDER WINS MY ITEM

GEMLOVER60

MYSTERY BIDDER WINS MY ITEM

Post by GEMLOVER60 » 4 years ago

I don't get how I keep loosing my auctions. I was the high bidder on a ring today and I watch it until the very end, amount never changed, I was waiting to bid incase I was out bided, no one bid, thought I won, went to check, SAID ITEM LOST!! This happens way to much. The item was worth way more than my bid, but is not that the idea??????? I think since the bid was to low SLC just cuts it off...rigged bidding? :( I will not do their auctions any more.
4 x

Margui

Re: MYSTERY BIDDER WINS MY ITEM

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Welcome to the forum GEMLOVER60. Nobody is going to stop these bidders. It's possible that they are ShopLC's employees, like that Merilee. I also lost on an item that I bid for 4 times to an individual named Gray.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Gemlover60

Sometimes the clock is off by a few seconds. If you go in right away (30 seconds or less usually) and you go into quick view it will tell you who won and how much they paid. Works as long as the item is still on your watch list.
2 x

...barefoot...

Post by ...barefoot... » 4 years ago

May I share my bidding strategy with you guys? I've used this method on eBay for years (and a couple of times on this site). Yes, it's sniping, but you'll win auctions at prices you are comfortable paying and not get caught up in any last minute bidding frenzies and pay more than you really wanted to pay.

Decide the MOST you will pay for any item and bid that MAX bid amount with 5 seconds to go. No one has time to outbid you if your bid is the highest. If you lose to a higher MAX bid, then that bidder was willing to pay more than you were.
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

...barefoot... wrote:
4 years ago
May I share my bidding strategy with you guys? I've used this method on eBay for years (and a couple of times on this site). Yes, it's sniping, but you'll win auctions at prices you are comfortable paying and not get caught up in any last minute bidding frenzies and pay more than you really wanted to pay.

Decide the MOST you will pay for any item and bid that MAX bid amount with 5 seconds to go. No one has time to outbid you if your bid is the highest. If you lose to a higher MAX bid, then that bidder was willing to pay more than you were.
This has also been my strategy when the overbidders aren't wanting the item. But if the usual overbidders are present...forget about it!

Thanks for sharing...barefoot...!
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

...barefoot... wrote:
4 years ago

Is this a secret? Or a stragedy? I usually do this for things I REALLY want. It doesn't help when these others have put their Max bids in well above what I know it goes for on the website though. There are sniping sites for some auction sites but they don't work here.
3 x

...barefoot...

Post by ...barefoot... » 4 years ago

I didn't say it was a secret. It's just my personal bidding strategy. I also do my own last minute bidding and don't go near sniping sites. I don't think using them is playing fair.

I've also read here on the forums about those overbidders, so not much will probably work against them on a regular basis. However, I did win a really nice tanzanite ring the other day, and guess who I outbid--Merilee :!: . Not sure why she didn't overbid on this one (must have lost track of it), but I got it for about half of what it was selling for here. My jeweler said I "did well." On the other hand, she won about four I was bidding on, but at least my max bid made her pay more. :twisted:
7 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

...barefoot... wrote:
4 years ago
I didn't say it was a secret. It's just my personal bidding strategy. I also do my own last minute bidding and don't go near sniping sites. I don't think using them is playing fair.

I've also read here on the forums about those overbidders, so not much will probably work against them on a regular basis. However, I did win a really nice tanzanite ring the other day, and guess who I outbid--Merilee :!: . Not sure why she didn't overbid on this one (must have lost track of it), but I got it for about half of what it was selling for here. My jeweler said I "did well." On the other hand, she won about four I was bidding on, but at least my max bid made her pay more. :twisted:
I'm starting to think Merilee and her Minions all work together. Maybe they are employees for the same shop or something like that. It seems like many showed up about the same time.
Congrats on the Tanzanite ring. Maybe she was napping?
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

The only time I did win I was so excited and got a good deal, I got a confirmation I won but that was short lived only to get an email saying the item was no longer available, I think shop lc did not make enough on it. I called them on it and they told me it must have been a mistake and they never had it in inventory but the next day it was back on the auction, between that and the over bidders I do not bother anymore.
4 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
The only time I did win I was so excited and got a good deal, I got a confirmation I won but that was short lived only to get an email saying the item was no longer available, I think shop lc did not make enough on it. I called them on it and they told me it must have been a mistake and they never had it in inventory but the next day it was back on the auction, between that and the over bidders I do not bother anymore.
I know how disappointed you were. It's happened to me with regular catalog items.

Once I got excited about a tanzanite ring I won on RA. Not the one I got. It was ok...but, comparable?...don't know, couldn't find either ring anywhere in inventory. Loved the style of the one I thought I was getting better than the one I got. :?
4 x